Arx Hereticus

Welcome to the ramblings of a merry heretic, an ex-pat (Tex-pat?) American living in Maryland after having spent six years in Germany. Arx Hereticus is part travelogue, part cooking, part budo, part socio-political commentary and mostly just me BSing.

Monday, January 19, 2009

Uncle Aldo's spaghetti gravy

1 or so pounds of good lean ground meat
I've used beef, pork, chicken, moose and venison for this - moose courtesy cousin Frank Gordon)
half a large onion chopped fine (not quite minced)
3-5 large toes of garlic, minced or crushed
1-2 med. meaty (rather than juicy) tomatoes (I used homegrown Romas) chopped coarsely
half a red bell pepper chopped small
salt and pepper to taste (I use sea salt and fresh ground mixed pepper)
Dried or fresh:
Sage, oregano, basil, rosemary, other herbs to taste (I added generous dash of Herb de Provence)

Sautee the onion, half the garlic, the bell pepper (I like to use a spicy red chili when I have it) in good olive oil, salt and pepper while cooking, till not-quite brown

Spice the meat with herbs and half the remaining garlic, brown with the base veg mix

I cheat here, Uncle Aldo made his own tomato sauce, I use a can of diced tomatoes (make sure there's no MSG or sugar in), and a small can of tomato sauce

Add in more herbs, salt and pepper to taste, periodically splash in generous amounts of dry red wine to keep wet. Use wine to keep cook lubricated as well ...

(A little wine for the pot, a little wine for me ...)

Perfectly, I'd cook it all day, adding wine and chopped fresh 'matoes as needed, realistically, about an hour

Serve over your favorite pasta or use Emily's spaghetti squash (which we are) recipe. See her for said recipe. Sprinkle with fresh grated parmesan or reggiano,or any good,strong dry cheese, sprinkle more herbs if it makes you happy, drink a good dry red wine or whatever tickes your palette.

(And yes, this is the way Uncle Aldo taught me to make it ... "A littla this, a littla that, how's it taste? Pour us another glass of wine.")

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home